This beautiful smooth limoncello is my mother Maria’s recipe – she’s 92 years old and from Sicily. She always used the lemons from her tree and the drink was enjoyed by the whole family.
• 3-4 organic lemons
• 500 ml 95% pure alcohol or vodka
• 500g sugar
• 5 cups water
1. Wash lemons thoroughly and peel off the rind, eliminating the pith.
2. Place the rinds in a large bowl and cover with the alcohol. Seal bowl with a lid and set aside for 10 days.
3. Place the sugar and water in a large pot and boil for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
4. Add the syrup to the infused spirit and pass through a sieve.
5. Pour the limoncello into glass bottles. Set aside for a week before enjoying. Serve chilled.