’Nfigghiulata di cavolfiore e cipolle
This is a very old recipe which I learnt to make from my grandmother who was born in 1913. She was a very humble woman who came to Australia from Sicily.
For the dough:
• 1 kg plain flour
• 1 sachet of yeast
For the filling:
• 1-2 cauliflowers, chopped
• 3-4 large onions, chopped
• Pecorino cheese, grated
• Salt and pepper
1. Make the dough and allow to rise.
2. Preheat oven to 190˚C.
3. Sauté the cauliflower and onions in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to cool.
4. Roll the pastry out to a thick base.
5. Top with the cauliflower mix and pecorino cheese.
6. Roll the dough into any shape you like.
7. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Serve hot or cold.