Paparotta di Tricase
In southern Italy we use lots of legumes alongside vegetables and bread - often fried - as a way to make the most of these ingredients, which aren't always a favourite among children. I can guarantee that with this recipe, they’ll lick the plate clean!
• 500g leftover legumes (peas or beans)
• 500g cooked greens (rapini, broccoli or kale)
• 4 pieces day-old bread, cut into cubes
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 onion, chopped
• Chilli flakes
• Extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat a drizzle of oil in a pan and fry the bread, onion and bay leaves. Make sure not to burn them.
2. Once the bread is golden brown and crunchy, add the legumes and vegetables.
3. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring gently and adding some water if needed.
4. Season with salt, pepper and chilli. Serve hot.
5. This dish is perfect for cold winter nights.