Polpette di melanzane calabresi al profumo dell’entroterra australiano
These Calabrese eggplant “meatballs” have an Australian touch that makes them all the more delicious.
• 1.5 kg eggplant, diced (2cm cubes)
• 2 eggs
• 2 garlic cloves, chopped
• 500g day-old bread
• 50g pecorino cheese, grated
• 5g bush tomato
• Chopped parsley
• Chopped basil
• Black pepper
1. Bring 2 litres of water to the boil in a large pot. Add the diced eggplants and cook for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
2. Meanwhile, soak the bread in water to soften it.
3. In a large bowl, combine the cheese, garlic and herbs.
4. Squeeze the eggplant and the bread to remove as much liquid as possible and place them in the bowl with the other ingredients.
5. Add the bush tomato and season with salt and pepper.
6. Add the eggs and combine the ingredients. If the mixture is too runny, add some breadcrumbs.
7. Roll the mixture into oval-shaped balls and fry for 3 minutes on each side in a frying pan with oil.