Diodato opened the show with a rousing rendition of his 2020 winning song Fai rumore; Swedish footballer and AC Milan forward Zlatan Ibrahimović made an appearance; and host Amadeus explained how last year’s festival felt like the last moment of normality before the coronavirus pandemic.
This year’s festival is taking place with no audience as Italy continues to grapple with a staggering number of new coronavirus cases every day.
But the restrictions didn’t stop Italians from enjoying the show from the comfort and safety of their homes: 11.176 million viewers tuned in to Rai1 to watch the opening night.
The festival, which runs until Saturday at Sanremo’s famed Ariston Theatre, revolves around a best-song competition and the winner has the chance to represent Italy at the next Eurovision Song Contest.
By the time the contest’s grand final rolls around, all 26 acts will have performed multiple times for different kinds of juries.
The 26 competing acts/songs are:
- Aiello - Ora
- Annalisa - Dieci
- Arisa - Potevi fare di più
- Bugo - E invece sì
- Colapesce e Dimartino - Musica leggerissima
- Coma_Cose - Fiamme negli occhi
- Ermal Meta - Un milione di cose da dirti
- Extraliscio feat. Davide Toffolo - Esordienti
- Fasma - Parlami
- Francesca Michielin e Fedez - Chiamami per nome
- Francesco Renga - Quando trovo te
- Fulminacci - Santa Marinella
- Gaia - Cuore amaro
- Ghemon - Momento perfetto
- Gio Evan - Arnica
- Irama - La genesi del tuo colore
- La Rappresentante di Lista - Amare
- Lo Stato Sociale - Combat Pop
- Madame - Voce
- Malika Ayane - Ti piaci così
- Måneskin - Zitti e buoni
- Max Gazzè e Trifluoperazina Monstery Band - Il farmacista
- Noemi - Glicine
- Orietta Berti - Quando ti sei innamorato
- Random - Torno a te
- Willie Peyote - Mai dire mai (La locura)