This cake is perfect for the autumn months.
• 350g pumpkin, peeled, seeded and diced
• 175g caster sugar
• 150g almonds
• 80g plain flour
• 100g butter
• 35g potato starch
• 6 egg yolks
• 2 egg whites, beaten
• 2 Amaretti biscuits, crumbled
• ¾ sachet yeast
• Icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 190°C. Grease a 24cm round cake tin with butter and coat with a little semolina.
2. In a medium pan, heat ¼ of the butter and cook the pumpkin until al dente. Set aside to cool.
3. Pass the pumpkin through a food processor. Set aside.
4. Pass the almonds and 1 tbsp of the caster sugar through a food processor until you have a fine powder.
5. Melt the remaining butter.
6. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks with the remaining caster sugar until you have a foamy mixture.
7. While stirring with a wooden spoon, add the almonds, Amaretti biscuits and melted butter.
8. Continue to stir and sift in the flour, potato starch and yeast.
9. Add the pumpkin paste and egg whites and season with a pinch of salt.
10. Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for around 50 minutes.
11. Set aside to cool, then dust with icing sugar.