A traditional cake from Lombardy.
• 200g plain flour
• 200g fine cornmeal
• 100g almonds, peeled
• 50g almonds, unpeeled
• 200g sugar
• 100g butter
• 100g lard (or 100g butter)
• Zest of 1 lemon, grated
• 2 egg yolks
• 1 vanilla pod
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 32cm round baking tin.
2. Grind the peeled and unpeeled almonds roughly in a food processor. (Keep 50g of the unpeeled almonds aside)
3. Combine the lard, butter and ground almonds in a bowl.
4. Add the cornmeal, plain flour and lemon zest, then stir briefly.
5. Add the seeds from the vanilla pod, then ¾ of the sugar. Stir briskly.
6. Incorporate the egg yolks and stir quickly.
7. Pour ⅔ of the mixture into the baking tin, trying to crumble it as much as possible with your hands. Do not level it out.
8. Add the unpeeled almonds to the remaining mixture and stir well.
9. Pour the remaining mixture into the tin and evenly distribute the remaining sugar over the top.
10. Bake for 50 minutes. Set aside to cool before serving.