Cape Grim beef ribs in balsamic vinegar, olive oil potato puree and pickled radicchio
A mouthwatering dish packed with flavour.
• 1 kg Cape Grim beef ribs
• 1L IGP balsamic vinegar
• 500g honey
• 2 celery sticks, diced
• 1 carrot, diced
• 1 onion, diced
• 1 sprig of rosemary
• 5 sage leaves
• 1 garlic clove
• 2 juniper berries
• 4 black pepper
• 200 ml red wine
• 1 radicchio, quartered
• 1L raspberry vinegar
• 200g sugar
• 4 Dutch cream potatoes, peeled
• Olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 160°C.
2 Pour the balsamic vinegar into a pot and add the honey. Cook until reduced by 2/3.
3. Salt the beef ribs on both sides.
4. Pour a drizzle of olive oil into a hot frying pan and brown the meat on both sides.
5. Place the ribs into a deep baking tray.
6. Using the same frying pan, brown the celery, carrot and onion with the herbs and spices.
7. Add the wine and cook until reduced.
8. Add the vegetables to the tray with the ribs and cover with foil.
9. Cook in the oven for 3-4 hours or until the meat is soft to touch.
10. To make the potato puree, boil the potatoes in salted water.
11. Drain the potatoes and mash them with a potato masher.
12. Season with salt and high quality olive oil to taste.
13. To make the pickled radicchio, bring the raspberry vinegar and sugar to the boil.
14. Add the radicchio to the vinegar and bring to the boil.
15. Remove from heat and cover with a lid. Set aside to rest.
16. Once the ribs are cooked, serve with the potato puree and pickled radicchio.