Fried calzoni with endive
I have been making these for years using my mother Maria Caminiti’s recipe.
For the dough:
• 500g plain flour
• 2 tsp dry yeast
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp sugar
• Warm water
For the filling:
• 1 large bunch of endive
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 2 large onions/leeks
• 2 garlic cloves
• 1-2 chillies, sliced
• Anchovies (1 per calzone)
• Handful of pine nuts
• Bocconcini or mozzarella
• Oil for frying
1. Combine the flour, yeast, salt, sugar and water to make a soft dough. Set aside to rise.
2. Wash the endive and boil in a saucepan of water. Drain.
3. Heat oil in a fry pan. Sauté the onion, garlic and chilli.
4. Add the endive and stir well. Add the pine nuts.
5. Knock back the dough and divide it into small balls.
6. Roll each ball into a flat circle.
7. Spoon some filling into the middle of each circle. Add an anchovy and some cheese.
8. Fold each circle over and seal.
9. Fry each calzone in oil until golden brown (or bake in a moderate oven).
10. Serve and enjoy.