A rich pasta dish from the southern Italian island of Sicily.
• 6 sheets of egg lasagne
• 500 g pork mince (usually I buy pork mince and grind it with the food processor)
• 1 medium carrot, grated
• 1 medium shallot or leek, grated
• Garlic paste
• Extra-virgin olive oil
• Parmesan cheese, grated
• 50g butter
For the béchamel:
• 3 cups full cream milk
• 75g butter
• ½ cup flour
• Sea salt and pepper
• A pinch of nutmeg
For the Neapolitan sauce:
• 500g passata
• ¼ tsp crushed garlic
• A pinch of fennel seeds (wild fennel if in season)
1. To make the Neapolitan sauce, cook the passata, garlic and fennel seeds in a saucepan for around 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook the lasagne sheets in a large saucepan of salted boiling water (for around 20 minutes).
3. To make the filling, pour olive oil into a medium pan to cover the base. Add butter and heat until melted.
4. Add carrot, shallot and garlic, and sauté over medium heat until golden brown.
5. Add pork and cook until browned. Season with sea salt.
6. Remove from heat and set aside.
7. Make the béchamel: place all ingredients in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for a few minutes to form a thick sauce. Set aside for around 5 minutes.
8. In a large bowl, mix the pork and béchamel together, a little at a time. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Preheat oven to 190°C.
10. Grease a lasagne tray with butter. Spoon some of the Neapolitan sauce over the bottom of the pan.
11. When cooked, drain the lasagne sheets and add a little cold water so you can pick them up without burning your fingers.
12. Place a wooden pastry board and everything else on your bench.
13. Place the lasagne sheets on the pastry board and spoon some pork filling into the centre of each one. Roll each sheet up to make cannelloni.
14. Place the cannelloni into the lasagne tray.
15. Spoon just enough sauce over the cannelloni to cover them, but not too much.
16. Sprinkle some parmesan on top and add a few knobs of butter between the cannelloni.
17. Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes, or until cooked.