Lasagna from the Aeolian Islands
A hearty dish from the Aeolian Islands, in the deep south of Italy.
For the tomato sauce:
• 500g peeled tomatoes
• 1 red onion
• 100g veal, diced
• 100g sausage mince
• 1 cup red wine
• 1 bay leaf
• Extra virgin olive oil
For the pasta:
• 400g 00 flour
• 100g semolina
• 3 eggs
• 6 egg yolks
• 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the lasagna:
• 500g fresh pasta
• 150g peas
• 150g ham
• 5 hard-boiled eggs, diced
• 150g parmesan cheese, grated
• 150g ricotta
• 150g mozzarella, finely sliced
1. First make the tomato sauce: crush the tomatoes and pass them through a food mill (mouli).
2. In a saucepan, sauté the onion in extra virgin olive oil. Add the veal and sausage mince.
3. Deglaze with the red wine and let the alcohol evaporate, then add the tomato puree and cook until it is reduced.
4. Season with salt and pepper, the bay leaf and nutmeg.
5. To make the pasta, combine the flour, semolina, oil, eggs and yolks and knead, adding a little water if the dough is too dry, until it becomes smooth and consistent.
6. Roll the dough into a ball and wrap it in cling film. Refrigerate for a few hours.
7. To make the lasagna, preheat the oven to 165°C.
8. Blanch the peas.
9. In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce, ricotta and peas.
10. Roll out the dough and make lasagne sheets to fit the size of the dish you are using.
11. Bring a large pot of water to the boil and add salt and a drop of oil. Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain and set aside to dry.
12. In a deep baking dish, prepare the lasagna by topping each layer with the tomato sauce, ham, mozzarella, basil, parmesan and hard-boiled eggs.
13. Cover the top layer with the remaining tomato sauce and sprinkle over some parmesan cheese.
14. Bake the lasagna for around 35 minutes or until golden brown on top.