Cajettes di pane
This dish from Piedmont is the perfect way to use up stale bread.
• 250g day-old rye bread
• 120g plain flour
• 350 ml milk
• 50g butter
• 1 egg
• 1 egg white
• 1 onion, finely chopped
For the sauce:
• 50g butter, melted
1. Cut the bread into cubes and soak in the milk. Drain and squeeze.
2. Melt half of the butter in a pot. Add the onion and bread and cook for several minutes.
3. Remove from the heat set aside to cool slightly.
4. Add 100g of the flour, the egg and egg white and a pinch of salt. Stir gently.
5. With wet hands, take a small amount of the mixture and mould it into the shape of a long gnocchi. Repeat this process until all the mixture is used.
6. Use the remaining flour to coat each piece, then dip into salted boiling water. Cook until they rise to the surface, then drain.
7. Dress in the remaining butter and serve.