This focaccia is delicious whether eaten plain or with a topping.
• 8 tsp dry yeast
• 2 cups warm water (plus 2 extra cups warm water)
• 1 tsp sugar
• 2 kg plain flour
• 5 medium potatoes, boiled & mashed
• 1 cup oil
1. Combine warm water, yeast and 1 tsp of sugar. Set aside to prove for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, sift the flour and salt into a bowl or baking board. Add the mashed potatoes, oil, extra warm water and yeast mixture.
3. Mix/knead the ingredients together to form a soft, smooth dough, adding more flour if too sticky. Place the dough into an oiled bowl, cover with a tea towel and let rise for 2 hours.
4. Punch the dough down and knead for 5-10 minutes. Divide the dough into three equal portions.
5. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into desired pizza shape and place the pizza base onto a lightly floured tray. Cover the trays with a tea towel and let rise for a further 2 hours.
6. At this stage, your favourite toppings can be added – either brush the dough with oil, adding a sprinkle of salt, arrange sliced cooked potatoes onto the base or spread with tomato pasta sauce and add cheese.
7. Bake in a moderate oven for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.