Polpette di pane
Tasty bites of bread in tomato sauce from Sicily.
• Tomato passata
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 1 cup water
• Extra virgin olive oil
For the polpette:
• 2 eggs
• 4 tbsp breadcrumbs
• 1 white bread, crust removed, crumbled
• 4 tbsp parmesan, grated
• Basil leaves, chopped
1. Heat some oil in a pan and cook the garlic until browned.
2. Add the passata and water. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the sauce thickens.
3. Beat the eggs in a bowl and season with salt.
4. Add the breadcrumbs, white bread, parmesan and basil leaves. Stir to combine.
5. Take spoonfuls of the mixture and drop them into a pan of hot oil.
6. Cook until the polpette are golden brown on each side, then drain and place on paper towel to remove any excess oil.
7. Place them in the sauce and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
8. Garnish with basil and serve hot.