Classic Sicilian arancini
This Sicilian dish has become popular all over the world.
For the rice mixture:
• 1 kg long grain white rice
• 250g grated parmesan
• Dollop of pasta sauce
• 3-4 eggs, beaten and seasoned with salt and pepper
• Extra virgin olive oil
For the filling:
• 2 cups minced meat
• Pasta sauce
• 5 eggs, boiled and chopped
• 250g peas
• Mozzarella cheese, cut into 1cm cubes
• Breadcrumbs, for coating
• Peanut oil, for frying
1. Cook the rice and drain well.
2. Combine the ingredients for the rice mixture in a large bowl and stir well.
3. Cook the mince in olive oil and some pasta sauce.
4. Cook the peas in butter and season with salt and pepper.
5. Combine the mince, boiled eggs, peas and mozzarella in a large bowl.
6. Fill the palm of your hand with 2 tablespoons of rice and make a hole in the centre for the filling.
7. Fill with a small amount of the filling.
8. Shape the rice into a ball and make a point at the top to resemble a triangle shape (you can leave them round if preferred).
9. Cover in breadcrumbs and set aside.
10. Repeat this step until all of the rice and filling has been used.
11. Heat oil in a deep saucepan and fry the arancini in batches three at a time for around 10 minutes or until golden brown.
12. Drain on paper towel and serve hot.