Risotto alla red ale, zafferano e grana
A new take on risotto - instead of adding wine, add ale!
• 350g Carnaroli rice
• 750 ml + 1 cup red ale
• 4 small shallots, finely chopped
• 3 knobs of butter
• 2 pinches of saffron pistils
• Grana Padano
1. Heat a drizzle of oil and a ladle of hot water in a pan and add the shallots. Simmer, then place in a bowl and cover with cling wrap.
2. In a pan, heat the red ale and a dash of water.
3. Heat a little oil in a large pan and toast the rice over high heat.
4. Add the beer gradually, as a substitute for stock, and cook the rice. Season with salt and pepper. Halfway through cooking, add the shallots.
5. Once the rice is almost cooked, add the saffron; if the risotto is too dry, add some hot water.
6. Remove from the heat and add the butter. Stir well. Cover the risotto and set aside to rest for a minute.
7. Add the Grana Padano and stir well, then serve hot.