Aunt Emilia’s persimmon biscuits
Aunt Emilia’s persimmon biscuits, straight from Calabria.
• 1 cup persimmon flesh
• 1 cup walnuts, chopped
• 1 cup sultanas
• 1 cup sugar
• ½ cup butter, melted and cooled
• 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
• ½ tsp cinnamon
• ½ tsp cloves
• 1-2 tsp vanilla essence
• 2 cups plain flour
• 2 medium eggs, beaten
• Icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 170°C. Line a tray with baking paper.
2. Add the sugar to the butter and stir. Add the eggs and stir well until you have a creamy mixture.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the sultanas, vanilla essence, spices, walnuts and persimmon flesh. Stir well.
4. Combine the two mixtures and add the flour, stirring well until you have a smooth dough.
5. With two spoons, take scoops of the dough and make small balls. Spread the balls out evenly onto the baking tray.
6. Bake for around 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
7. Dust with icing sugar and serve.