Mamma Isabella’s cudureddi
These are a great snack or appetiser for when you have guests.
• 1 kg plain flour
• 14g yeast
• 1 cup olive oil
• 2 tbsp salt
• 1 tbsp fennel seeds
1. Dissolve the yeast in warm water.
2. Place the flour on a clean surface and make a well in the middle. Add the oil, fennel seeds, salt and yeast to the well.
3. Slowly work the ingredients until you have a smooth dough.
4. Divide the dough into even portions. Roll each portion into a rope about 30 cm long, then cut each into thirds, about 10 cm long. Roll each length until 15 cm long. Join the ends of each length, pinching to seal, to form rings.
5. Cover the cudureddi with cling wrap or a damp towel and set aside to rest until well puffed.
6. When the cudureddi have risen, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil.
7. In batches, place the cudureddi in the water and cook them until they rise to the surface.
8. Place the cudureddi on a tray lined with baking paper and bake at 180°C for around 40 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Set aside to cook before serving.