Froilini (shortbread biscuits)
Everyone who eats these biscuits can’t get enough of them – they’re just so soft and yummy!
• 500g butter, softened but not melted
• 225g caster sugar
• ½ tsp baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
• Rind of one lemon
• 2 tbsp vanilla essence
• 5 egg yolks
• 4 tbsp thickened cream
• 1 kg plain flour
• Pinch of salt
1. Combine the softened butter, caster sugar, lemon rind, vanilla essence, egg yolks and cream in a large bowl, mixing until the mixture is smooth and free of lumps.
2. Add the flour and baking soda. Continue mixing and/or turn the dough out onto a baking board and knead until the flour has been fully incorporated.
3. Break off small pieces of the dough and roll into a sausage shape. Cut off pieces approximately 8 cm in length and place onto a lined baking tray. Alternatively, you can shape into a circle, pinching the dough together to close off the biscuit shape.
4. Bake in a moderate oven until lightly golden brown (approximately 25 minutes).
5. Dust with icing sugar once cooled.